January 23, 2006

Kids' Books -- Online Reading List

A while back I was thinking that I wanted the kids to have a place online where they could track what books they had read.

I wanted:

  • A site anybody could visit to see what the kids have been reading lately.

  • A forum where the kids could post very short “reviews” to recommend books to friends.

  • Anonymity for children online.

I couldn't find any existing solution that seemed quite right, so I finally set up my own website.



If you want to see what Nathaniel and Jessica have been reading lately, check out www.Books.CriticalMap.com. Click on "Darth Vader" (Nathaniel) or "Samantha" (Jessica) in the list, and then click the Choose button.

If you like this system, you are welcome to try adding your own child's reading. The instructions are below.

(Please keep in mind that this site is a hobby for me, not a job . . . and that you get wait you pay for!)

How to Add Your Child's Reading to the List in Just 8 (formerly 14!) Steps

  1. Go to www.Books.CriticalMap.com.

  2. Click on Sign In.

  3. Click on the words Click to Register.

  4. Fill out a name, a password, and an email address. (I will absolutely never share the email with anyone under any circumstances. I'll use it only to confirm passwords or notify you of any changes.)

  5. Click Your Settings.

  6. Click Add a Child to Your List.

  7. Enter the name you want to appear for the child and click the button. (I'm not comfortable putting our kids' names on the Internet, so I let the kids pick their own "Code Names.")

  8. You should see a link next to the Choose button called Add a Book. Click it, and you can start building your child's reading list.


Your child's books won't show up with pictures at first. As time permits, Camille and I will fill in the graphics.

Let me know what you think!

6 comments:

Headmistress, zookeeper said...

The Fourth Homeschooling Carnival is up, and this post is in it.=)
http://heartkeepercommonroom.blogspot.com/2006/01/fourth-homeschooling-blog-carnival.html

coffeemamma said...

What a great idea! I'm visiting from the Homeschool Carnival- nice to 'meet' you!

Bob Edwards said...

What a great idea. The books your kids are reading makes me miss having little ones around. I can still probably say Dr Sueuss's The Foot Book from memory. I read it out loud soooo many times. I guess I will have to wait for grandchildren. :(

Bob Edwards said...

What a great idea. The books your kids are reading makes me miss having little ones around. I can still probably say Dr Sueuss's The Foot Book from memory. I read it out loud soooo many times. I guess I will have to wait for grandchildren. :(

Michael Hardt said...

I appreciate the kind words. I still have Goodnight Moon memorized, from reading it almost daily to both our children for their first years with us.

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea! Wish I still had little ones at home! Thanks for sharing!