January 28, 2011

Our Week with The Poem Farm: Friday

As part of our participation with Amy LV at The Poem Farm, today Jessica pens an acrostic, and Nathaniel opts for a conversational poem.

Is there a word for a conversational poem—one in which two voices just talk back and forth? Some of Robert Frost's poems come to my mind right away, like The Telephone.

Fourth of July
by Jessica

FOREFATHERS
OATH
ULTIMATE SACRIFICE
REVERENCE
THOMAS JEFFERSON
HAIL!

OBJECTION TO THE KING
FAIR

JOHN ADAMS
UNANIMOUS
LOVE OF FREEDOM
YEAR 1776



A Conversation Between My Crabs
by Nathaniel

“I want to.”
“No, I.”

“I want to be held.”
“But so do I.”

“Oh, here he comes!”
“We’d better hide!”

“No, I’d better stand on this rock.
"Then maybe he’ll take me outside.”

“Get off!  Get off!
"I want to stand there.”

“But so do I.”

1 comment:

Amy L V said...

Jessica, You truly capture the serious importance of the 4th of July with this poem. To tell you the truth, acrostics are generally not my favorite kind of poem, but this one is tells a historical story very well. A.
-----------------
Nathaniel, Ohhhh...you've been listening to them! I am smiling to myself over this one. They sound like siblings. Your near-rhymes of I, hide, and outside work well.

(Sometimes two voice poems are structured back and forth with the voices indented differently or with one in italics. Then you don't have to use so many quotes.)

A.